New Member Information
Our club website is www.rcmpsc.org.
Our district website is www.rotary7770.org.
Rotary International website is www.rotary.org.
- We are a service organization NOT a leads club or professional group. Any prospective member should apply with the ideal of service in mind. Networking is a secondary benefit of the club but not its purpose. In fact, promoting your business is discouraged.
- Once someone is proposed for membership, we ask that they not attend further meetings until their proposal is approved and we are ready to induct them. This gives our club members a chance to discuss the proposal freely.
- Club meetings are held weekly on Wednesdays at 12:30 at the Harbor Breeze Restaurant adjoining the Omar Shrine Temple (176 Patriots Point Rd) in Mt. Pleasant. Members are expected to attend a minimum of 60% of all meetings. Missed meetings can be made up at other Rotary clubs or on-line to meet this expectation. Links to on-line internet make-up sites are provided on the club website. Meetings are not held on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, the 2 Wednesdays falling closest to Christmas day and New Years day, or the Wednesday during the week of July 4th.
- Club Dues are $75 a month which basically pays for weekly lunches, minimal Rotary District 7770 dues, and Rotary International (RI) dues that include an excellent monthly Rotary magazine. There is also a one-time $60 initiation fee for new members. Monthly statements are sent out by the club at the first of each month. Dues can be paid by check or credit card.
- Rotary Foundation - this is our international charity and does good work both locally and globally. Each member is required to be a “sustaining member” and give at least $100/year. This can be added to your monthly dues or paid separately. If you do not designate otherwise, an additional $10 will be added to your monthly dues invoice.
- Current membership is approximately 80 members. New members are assigned a classification according to their occupation. Any given classification is allowed a maximum of 8 members (10% of total membership).
- Upon joining and being inducted into the club, new members will begin a 60 day provisional membership period. During the first 60 days of membership, the new members will wear a red membership badge and will be expected to complete 10 requirements on the club’s “Red Badge Checklist.” The requirements are basic club functions aimed at encouraging new member involvement and getting to know the club members. The club will assign a mentor to the new member to assist with these requirements and help with the assimilation process. After 60 days and completion of these requirements, the new member will become a regular member and receive the standard blue membership badge.
- Soccer Classic - this is our only fundraiser for the year and it is usually held on Saturday in late February/early March. It is a soccer jamboree event consisting of abbreviated matches for many of the area high school boys and girls soccer teams. Every Club member is required to attend and work a shift (3-4 hours) on the day of the event. The money raised goes to fund local charities and the scholarships we give to East Cooper high school students for college and vocational school. Each member must secure $300 or more in ad sales or pay the minimum $300 themselves.
- Backpack Buddies – this is our main service project in the East Cooper community. The goal of this project is to provide weekend meals for local kids that qualify for the free school meal program at their school. The kids are provided with balanced, nutritious meals in a backpack that they take home with them each Friday. Our club partners with the Lowcountry Food Bank to purchase the supplies at a reduced price and our members meet once a month to prepare the backpacks to be delivered to each school.
- Other service projects include: Happy Feet (free shoes for needy school kids), Adopt a Highway, The Dictionary Project (free dictionaries for all East Cooper 3rd graders), Habitat for Humanity, Wando Warrior senior thesis review, and other ad hoc projects during the year.
- Fellowship - We have a Holiday party in December, occasional Riverdogs baseball outings, pre Soccer Classic Silent Auction, a spring harbor cruise, cookouts, happy hour socials, and an Installation Banquet in June/July for the incoming Officers and Board.